When you are starting out in the modeling industry many are often attracted to the glamour. In these 12 tips you will learn some of the things you must do in order to really learn modeling, pay close attention – come back and read this more than once for effect!
However, like any job, modeling is hard work. With the competitive nature of the business it takes more than a pretty face and a beautiful body to make it in the industry.
Here are a few candid modeling tips for beginners:
1. Be professional. Return all phone calls promptly and confirm your
appointments with your photographers, talent management companies or
2. Always arrive to your bookings on time. Calling at the last minute with an
excuse is not acceptable. Texting is a big no-no.
3. Show up to meetings at least five minutes early. It costs the client money
when the shoot does not start on time. Show up early prepared to work.
4. Invest in a quality portfolio. Your pictures are very important tools for a model career. Hire professional photographers for modeling portfolios in order to book the most gigs. No selfies in your portfolio!
5. Understand basic elements of fashion design. If you are planning a career
with a fashion model management company, you have to know the product you are selling. Find out what cuts fit your body best. Recognize how certain fabrics flow. Figure out how to wear unflattering garments well. The better you are able to present the clothing, the more sought after you will become.
6. Know your stats. It is important that you know your dress sizes, bust, waist and hip measurements and honestly list them on paperwork. Lying to the wardrobe artist is a waste of time and money.
7. Stay abreast of the industry. Become a student of fashion and the emerging top models. Thumb through fashion magazines and subscribe to industry publications. Visit modeling forums online or a modeling agency website for ideas and tips. A working knowledge of your environment will help you acclimate to the environment.
8. Practice makes perfect. Professional models are able to portray the image the campaign is attempting to create. Practice expressions and poses in the mirror, or in front of a friends camera until you are able to immediately convey an emotion or strike a pose instantly.
9. Be a team player. The model is just one piece of the puzzle. There are makeup and hair stylist, directors, photographers and a variety of other people needed to achieve the finished product. Conduct yourself as a team player, not the star of the show.
10. Protect your bread and butter. Take care of your physical appearance with a proper diet and exercise. Also, keep your hair healthy, your skin in top condition, and get enough sleep.
11. Treat modeling like a business. Starting a business is hard to do and most fail within five years, but if you work hard and dedicate yourself to the business you will succeed.
12. Hire a Modeling Coach to help you get started. A modeling coach knows the ins and outs of the modeling industry and will help you properly start up your modeling career.